Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Hermana Juliet Hansen - Good Morning All

Good morning all,
This week was an unusual week because my companion and I were sick for a few days with the stomach flu. Not to worry though we are both now recovered and doing just fine. My poor companion got the worst of it though and it was not pretty.
 
..........

Conference was amazing! We got to watch all four sessions and it was such a nice time to be rejuvenated spiritually. I went having three topics/questions in mind that I was hoping would get talked about and all of them were talked about. One of the things that I wanted to learn more about was how I could be better directed by the spirit in my life and here are some of the things that I learned...
Humble prayer with real intent allows the spirit to touch our hearts (Elder Koelliker) 
When we yield to the will of the Lord the spirit is felt (Elder Koelliker) 
When we love the Lord we can have that power [of the Holy Ghost] (Elder Koelliker)
To enhance the spirit we must let all bitterness be stripped from us (Elder Soares)
Yielding to anger or hurt drives away the spirit (Elder Scott)
Having healthy bodies can help us understand the spirit (Elder Scott)
When we are thinking of others we can be more easily inspired (Elder Scott). 
Anyway, those are just a few and I could keep going. I just love that Lord hears our indivdual prayers and knows what we need to learn from conference.
Here are a few of my favorite things from conference....
"The feeling of love from our Heavenly Father is like a gravitational pull from Heaven." (Elder Koelliker)
"Don't delay....it's getting late" (Elder Holland)
"The difference between those who hear the music of faith and those who are tone deaf is the study of the scriptures" (Elder Cook)
"A perfect body is not required to attain a divine destiny" (Elder Rasband)
"Wherever you find yourself on the road of discipleship, you are on the right road!" (Elder Andersen)
 
Anyway, I'd love to hear some of your insights from conference.
 
Mom asked me some questions in her email so I'll try to answer some of those now...
 
First...what do I do on P-days....well we still have to get up at 6:30 am. My companion and I will generally role out of bed and then write letters because that seems to be the most productive time to do so. Then we'll write e-mail at 9 and grocery shop right after. The rest of the day depends on if there is a zone activity or not. My zone likes to do activities almost every Monday and if we feel like going we'll go. Today they are doing frisbee but we aren't going to that. Instead we and the other sisters are getting together to dye easter eggs. Then we have till 6pm to do whatever we feel like to doing. Clean the apartment, write more letters, sleep, etc. Then at 6 we have to start proselyting again.
 
Second...what's my area like....well I'm still in Canyon Country, the Santa Clarita 1st ward. The area is really nice. We have a mix of really expensive, really nice areas, and then really poor areas. But for the most part it is middle class single family homes/apartments. (Now granted more than one family, if Hispanic, lives in the apartment/home because it is SO expensive to live out here...a house like ours runs about half a million to 600,000). We work a lot in trailer parks and apartments because that's where most of the hispanics live. We are blessed in our area to have access to a variety of stores (Target, Walmart, Goodwill, and like 4 different grocery stores). There are TONS of people all over the place. Our companionship does all of the Spanish work in Canyon country and then we have 3 sets of English elders that cover our area. We're lucky in that they do a lot of knocking doors so they send us referrals of any Hispanics that would be interested.
 
Finally....food....I LOVE the food. Paposas, empanadas, enchiladas, pasole, alare some of my favorites. They also make delicious drinks like horchata, chicha morada, atole, etc. They also make drinks called aguas that you make with whatever fruit you want, a little water, and some sugar. They are so good. I've also come to really enjoy spicy food. I've come to really have a high tolerance for anything spicy. I've only had a few experiences with food that I did not like. One was with this boiled chicharron (pig skin)...that was not pleasant :( and the other was with shrimp cakes. (Basically pureed shrimp and egg, fried) Not good. I've had the fortune of not having to eat menudo yet (soup with cow stomach), it'll probably happen at some point but luckily not yet.
 
Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to send them and I'll do my best to answer.
 
I love you all a lot,
 
Hermana Hansen

No comments: