Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hermana Juliet Hansen - Women in the Scriptures

Hello all,
 
This week I have felt really blessed by the Lord. We had the most lessons in one week that I've ever had since being on my mission. Our mission standard is 20 lessons a week and we managed to get 23!! I know that it had a lot to do with the Lord blessing us to find people at home and able to receive us. And at times we had experiences where the people were really really grateful that we had stopped by.
One such experience was with a girl named M(.........). Friday night we were deciding what we were going to do for Saturday and Hermana Williams was like "I feel like we need to go visit the V(.........) family." I was like okay, let's do it. So Saturday we swung by their house and it didn't look like they were home but we decided we would knock the door anyway. We said our prayer and pretty much as soon as we finished they drove up to the house. Miracle!!! Then we go over to talk to them and M(.....) was like "I'm so glad you're here. I was praying that someone would come and visit me!" We were able to visit with her and her mom for a little while and I feel like we were able to really help them that day. We talked about sharing the Gospel with people and we found out that M(.....) loves to share the Gospel with whoever she meets and so we gave her some Restoration pamphlets to help her out. We also talked about faith and building faith...I've been studying women in the scriptures and so we shared the story of the woman with the issue of blood. M(.....) loved it and she asked if we could help her understand the scriptures better. We told her that we would love to. When we left she just kept telling us how greatful she was that we had come over and that we were an answer to her prayer. It was so great that we could do that for her. The Lord really helped us know that she was in need and so we followed those promptings. I loved that experience this week!
 
So like I said I've been studying women in the scriptures. I started reading the New Testament and one day I decided that I would start writing down the women that are mentioned and why they are important. There is a line in my patriarchal blessing that says something along the lines of growing to love the women in the scriptures and I really feel like that is being fulfilled right now. As I read the New Testament my love for the Savior and these women grows every day. We all know the big names like Mary the mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene, Elisabeth, etc. But even the ones that have smaller roles to play are such great examples to me. Like the story of Anna in Luke chapter 2. It says that she "departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day." She is a great example of devotion to God. And because of her devotion she was able to see the Son of God. I love that story. I wish I had more time to share other stories because there are so many great women in the scriptures and we can learn so much from them.
 
Well I'm almost out of time.
 
I hope you all know that I love you A LOT!!
 
Have a terrific week.
 
Hermana Hansen

No comments: