Monday, April 30, 2012

Hermana Juliet Hansen - Busy as a Bee

Hi all,

First I would like to apologize for the really lame email that I sent last week. That was not good.

Anyway, you might be asking yourselves why I titled this email "Busy as a bee..." Well, I'm getting transferred!!! After almost 6 months here in Canyon Country, I am now going to be serving in the Reseda 4th ward which is in North Hills, California. I'm super excited to be going down there. From what I know, my companion and I will not only be in charge of part of Reseda 4th but also the Young Single Adult ward. We are also part of a completely Spanish stake (in Canyon Country we were the only Spanish ward in an English stake). So I'm expecting my Spanish to really grow down there. No more teaching lessons in English for me...haha. My new companion's name is Hermana Fish. We actually had the opportunity to work together a couple of weeks ago for a day when we had sister exchanges. She is 28 years old and from Spanish Fork, Utah. She has been on her mission for almost 3 months so that means I will be her senior companion. In mission language when you are someone's second companion we call them their stepmom or stepdad. So I will be Hermana Fish's stepmom, helping her learn a different way to do the missionary work and helping her progress in her language and teaching skills. All of this will be a VERY different experience for me but I'm really excited for this opportunity to learn and grow and become a better missionary.

Also, this Sunday we had another baptism!!! It was most definitely the best way to end my time here in Canyon Country. So last week I told you that Janette and Rachel got baptised. Well this week Janette's husband, Jesus, got baptised. It was such a miracle for us. And it was so amazing to feel like we were completing a family in the Gospel. What has been so amazing with Jesus is that he has basically turned his life around in 2 weeks. We had been meeting with him for longer than that but he never seemed super excited about anything. Then he started to see the changes that were happening in Janette and he got a little more excited about the Gospel and he wanted to keep learning. So he stopped smoking and drinking coffee. As we talked to him about how it was going with all of that you could see the change in him in his face. He was visibly happier, more alert, etc. Then they got married and it was like overnight their relationship just started to blossom and be so much more unified. Then Janette got baptised and Jesus was solidly on board. He loved the spirit that he felt at her baptism. And when we taught him about tithing he was so excited to be able to pay that for the first time on Sunday. He said that he already had the money set aside ready to go. Then he got baptised yesterday. He was so nervous all day long but afterwards you could feel how at peace he was. The spirit was so strong during  that service. And I felt so overwhelmingly grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of his growth in the Gospel.
I want to share with you part of a letter that I received this week. It was probably one of the best, if not THE best letter I've received my whole mission.

          "My name is Meg and I attended my first LDS service last Sunday at the Bellevue, TN ward....I'm fairly new to Nashville, but I felt more welcomed and uplifted in one hour last Sunday than I have my entire time living here...The kindness extended to my husband and I and the words and testimonies I heard felt so true that I am excited to go back next week. I hope others are willing to experience the church and your message and testimony. When not, I hope you're filled with the strength to continue whole-heartedly in your work...I know you are doing wonderful things by serving as a missionary."

I read that letter and I was so grateful for the things that she said. I fell like I'm getting to see the blessings that come to the home ward of a missionary. Thank you Bellevue Ward for being such amazing people and helping others feel welcomed. Keep up the good work!! This lady's name is Meg Fites. If you have the opportunity to talk to her please do. She seems like such an amazing lady and someone who has been completely prepared by the Lord to receive the Gospel.
I've been working my way through the New Testament and I am currently in Romans. I LOVE the book of Romans!!! Specifically chapters 6 and 8. In chapter 6, verses 3-6, I love how baptism is compared to the death and resurrection of Christ. For it truly is. As we are completely submerged in the water our sins are washed away and as we come out of the water we are then a new person, without sin.

I wish I had more time to really share everything that I've come to learn from these chapters of scripture. But I'll leave you with the verses that were my favorites.... chapter 8 verses 14, 16-18, 24-25, 26-28, 31, 35, 38-39. This way you can read them and then learn for yourself through the Spirit. I would love to hear about your experiences with the Scriptures and the things that you have learned.

Well that's it for this week. I'm off to a new adventure :)

Con amor,
Hermana Hansen

No comments: