Thursday, April 9, 2009

My sewing room


This was Nik's old bedroom. When we moved into the house it was in need of a complete do over. We think it was used as a work room. There was dark wood panelling and old orange shag carpet with ratty tile underneath.
We took the walls right back to the studs and put in new wall board. Originally the walls were going to be red but for whatever reason the paint did not take. This blue was Nik's second choice. For such a "manly" color choice it was surprisingly difficult to find anything boyish to work with it so we opted for white and also used the quilt that is in his "new" bedroom.
We took the floor back to the base and then laid wood parquet. I love how it looks. We were originally going to run it into the family room but it took so long to do this small room we would have been at it forever in there. One of these years we will replace the door. The previous owners chopped a piece off the bottom so it could open up over the carpet. Now we have a space along the bottom that does not look very attractive.
So now I use the room for sewing in and enjoy it very much. Everything is close to hand and I don't have to go burrowing in closets or boxes round the house to find whatever I need. Surprisingly I miss using the kitchen table, only because it has a large surface area, which is great for large projects. I keep my really big pieces of fabric in tubs in the basement but that is dwindling as I donate items or finish up projets.
We have a single bed in here for overnight guests or one of the girls when they visit. It's also great for those days when I am feeling sick, like today, and want to sleep into a smaller bed space :)
I'll continue the tour of our house soon. The current pictures are in our old computer where there is currently no internet access. I need to take more pictures and download them to my laptop.

1 comment:

Micki said...

Glad you are following my blog, and I am glad that I found yours. I love your sewing room. I live in a wee cottage by the sea, so because it is so small, I have my machines spread out around the cottage...no sewing room.Yours is lovely!
Nice getting to know you.
Micki