Monday, December 31, 2012

Herman Juliet Hansen - Sickly but still able to see miracles

Hello all,

I hope Christmas was wonderful for everyone. I loved getting to talk with the family on Skype. Liz I missed you though!!! I hope you had fun in Provo. 

We had the opportunity on Christmas to share with a part member family the movie "Joy to the World". As we shared with that family we felt the spirit testify to our hearts of the true spirit of Christmas. It was so great to be able to share the true message of the season with this family. As we got to focus on the life of the saviour it brought so much joy and love to my heart and to that of my companion. I hope those feelings came to all of your hearts this holiday season.

Sadly, after that lesson...Hermana Tavoian and I got sick. We then spent the rest of Christmas with fevers in our beds. But I'm really grateful that we were able to share with at least one family the spirit of Christmas. But not to worry...we are doing much better :)

We had an amazing experience meeting a man named S......... Before I came to Sylmar, he and his wife had attended church and he expressed interest in meeting with the missionaries. We had tried to visit with them for the last couple of weeks but for some reason or another it didn't work out. And then this week it did! We met with them and it was so amazing. He has such a sincere desire to learn and she is desirous to come fully back to the church. He loves everything that the church has to share and he wants to become part of the church. The only hurdle we have to get over is that they need to get married but we know that as we pray and work with them that the Lord will help us in that step. 

To close I want to share a quote from Elder Quentin L. Cook that our mission president shared with us this week.

In one of the most profound verses in all of scripture, Alma proclaims, “If ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?”

Local leaders across the world report that when viewed as a whole, Church members, especially our youth, have never been stronger. But they almost always raise two concerns: first, the challenge of increased unrighteousness in the world and, second, the apathy and lack of commitment of some members. They seek counsel about how to help members to follow the Savior and achieve a deep and lasting conversion.

This question, “Can ye feel so now?” rings across the centuries. With all that we have received in this dispensation—including the Restoration of the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the outpouring of spiritual gifts, and the indisputable blessings of heaven—Alma’s challenge has never been more important.

So as we go into the new year 2013 I want to encourage you all to think about the question "Can you feel so now?" I know that all of us have had experiences that have helped us to become converted to the Gospel and feel the fire of testimony deep within our hearts. Every day do we still feel those things? If we don't, what can we change to fell that again? If we do, how can we keep hold of those feelings? 
Maybe this year our goals can be more than just "Oh I want to lose 20 pounds." or "I want to cut out sweets". Maybe our goals can be more "I want to become more fully converted to the Gospel"" or "I want to be a better visiting/home teacher."

I hope that as we set our goals for this coming year we take a little time to think about what the Lord would have us to become.

Happy 2013!!

Love you all,

Hermana Hansen

No comments: