Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hermana Juliet Hansen - Knocking on Doors


Good morning!!
 
Recently we've been doing a lot of knocking because we are trying to find some new people to teach. Unfortunately, the investigators that we currently have are not really progressing. Before my mission I thought I wouldn't enjoy knocking but I was wrong. In actuality I like doing it because of the wide variety of people that we get to meet.
So today I would like to give you a little taste of the types of people we've met as we've knocked in Reseda California...
 
We've had the "we're not interested" door slam, the peek through the window, wave, and ignore the door, the "I was raised (insert religion here) and don't go right now but I'm okay with my beliefs. Thanks for your time.",(those you could get just about everywhere but the rest were very singular)
 
One day we knocked a door and when opened we saw the biggest, most orange Hindu shrine I'd ever seen. The lady then told us about how she doesn't go to the doctor but instead takes a little bit of the white holy powder found on one of the pictures, mixes it with water, drinks it, and she's cured.
Another day we knocked the door of a man who believes strongly in medical marijuana. He expressed interest in coming to church but only if he could be sure that no one would judge him for wearing his "colors" (a ruby and emerald encrested cross with a marijuana leaf in the center). We left him with a pass along card to check out the mormon.org website and as we walked away he yelled, "Hemp will save the world!"
For the first time ever on Saturday we met someone who was raised going to the church of the Holy Rollers. And that same day we talked for a while with a lady who was very nice to listen to us but not super interested. Whenever we finish talking to people we always ask if we can pray with them before we go. Normally they'll just say "no thank you" but this time she told us "We don't need a Mormon prayer."
 
Life gets really interesting when we go knocking. You really never know what you'll find behind the door but sometimes we get really lucky and we find someone who has been prepared to receive the gospel. I love the experiences we've had where we knock the door and the person is really happy to see us. And the best is when they feel the spirit and then let us come into their home and teach them. Those are rare but they make every slammed door so much more worth it. And I know that if we have sufficient faith God will lead us in the right direction to find that person who is most in need right now.
 
It's time for me to go but know that I love you all.
 
Que tengan muy feliz semana! (Have a great week)
 
Con mucho amor,  
 
Hermana Hansen

No comments: