Monday, May 24, 2010

Stake Conference

Our Stake Conference was this week-end and darn it I missed a goodly amount because I was sick in bed. John & I usually sing in the stake choir but I had not been feeling good for a while so had opted out of both performances. He, as usual, sang well :) I also missed the Saturday evening session which is usually my favorite part of the week-end :(
Sunday went much better. John went to sing at the early session and then met us at our session later in the morning. The kids and I got there early because I wanted a "comfy" seat and the ability to let John know if I needed to leave early :)
President Tipps, bless his wonderfully kind heart, decided I needed to be introduced to our visiting general authority and sent John to get me. Can I embarrass myself and say it took a moment for me to work out who I was talking too? Then he heard my accent and things got silly. That was a hoot (awkward on my part) because it was this sprightly, young, gentlemen and he can do a really good rendition of a Scots accent !!!

Meet Elder Kenneth Johnson, another Brit. We got to chatting and all of a sudden I felt better. It appears I was in need of visiting with another LDS person from my homeland. Who knew... not me.... till after the fact. What ever cloud had been bugging me was gone by the end of the meeting.
I love living here, my friends locally and at church are great, I enjoy the volunteer work I do especially at the Family History Center, our Stake Presidency is amazing but...... it can be hard being the only one with my brogue and often quirky British sense of humor.
One thing I am thankful for is that Elder Johnson went with our Elders Quorum President to see the areas affected by the flood and also visit with some families. I'm sure it meant a lot to them.
Our wonderful Temple president and his wife were at Stake Conference and we got to talking for a few minutes after the meeting. Turns out that Derek Cuthbert, the Mission President that helped teach me the gospel (and also from England), lived in their ward in Salt Lake while he was a general authority. Small world.

No comments: