Monday, May 21, 2012

Hermana Juliet Hansen - "the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind"


Hello all,
 
This week I learned a lot about myself. There were three days in a row where I really felt like I wasn't a good missionary. I had dropped the ball on a few things and I was really beating myself up about it. And after talking with a couple of other missionaries on Sunday about how I was doing I came to realize that a lot of what I was struggling with was perfectionism. I think I've always been the type where I think about what I could have done better in every situation. Even if others say I did a good job, I always think differently. Crazy, I know. And that perfectionism really affects me as a missionary. I thought I had learned the lesson about how I don't need to expect perfection at the beginning of my mission. But I guess I only applied it in one area of my life, with my Spanish learning abilities. I let go of requiring perfection of myself then and my spanish progressed a lot and I was much happier. Now that I'm learning how to be senior companion I'm having the same experience again. So I'm starting to work on letting the perfection go. Because though the Lord asks us to become perfect, I am only human and I am going to make mistakes. And when I make mistakes I just need to accept them as opportunities to learn. And one of the sister missionaries shared this quote with me after talking with her,
 
"When you let go of who you were, then Heavenly Father will show you who you really are."
So this is me resolved to let go of my old perfectionist self so that the Lord can mold me into who He needs me to be. And I'm excited to be shown who I really am. I guess you could say I'm off on a road of self discovery :)
 
In other news.... this weekend we had a baptism!!! (Sorry no pictures, I don't have the right cord to connect my camera to the computer anymore)
It was a baptism for a 10 year old named Nicte. She is such an amazing girl. She's been waiting for a while to be baptised because she really wanted her dad to do it. So for 2 years missionaries have been going over to her family's house every tuesday. Hermana Fish has told me that the change in the family over the last 3 months has been amazing. The parents used to just go to church for one hour (sacrament meeting) and the mom wasn't sure that she really had a testimony. But over these past 3 months the parents are now going to every activity, all 3 hours of church, and the mom KNOWS without a doubt that the church is true. AND what is even better is that Nicte's dad was able to baptise her! He'd never baptised anyone before, so he had to do it 3 times :) But I have never seen someone so happy to be baptised as this little girl. She is truly converted and she is SOOOO excited to get the Holy Ghost next week. This family is such a great example to me and I'm so grateful that I have a chance to be a part of their lives as they now prepare to go to the temple to sealed as a family.
 
I love you all,
 
Hermana Hansen
 
 

No comments: