Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hermana Juliet Hansen - We're (over) halfway there!

Hello all,
 
I hope you are all doing well. Life at the MTC is ever changing. I now have a different "companion" for Preparation days and Sundays, as of yesterday. I haven't had much opportunity to get to know her yet so I'll tell you about her next week. She's in the advanced Spanish class though, which I'm kind of excited about because she'll be able to help me improve my Spanish a lot more.
 
So this week I had my first success story of my mission. Two Mondays ago, before my companions left for the Peru MTC, we had the opportunity to teach in the TRC (Teaching Resource center). We taught a brother who happened to be from Peru and is living in Provo with his family. We were assigned to teach the topic of "receiving revelation through prayer." We first started talking about personal prayer and it was going okay and then my companion Hermana Captain starting talking about family prayer and right then we knew that it was what he needed to hear. Well at the end of the lesson we committed him to find a time every day to have family prayer (because that was something that his family has been struggling with). We left the lesson hoping that he would do it, thinking that we might not ever see him again. Well this past monday I had the opportunity to teach him again with some of the elders and guess what....HE KEPT THE COMMITMENT!!! His family has been praying together every night at 10 pm. This was such an amazing experience to have. Even in the MTC we have managed to fulfill our purpose as missionaries "to invite others to come unto Christ."
 
Also, this week we had the opportunity to hear from Richard G. Scott at our devotional. It was so cool to hear from him. He talked a lot about receiving personal revelation. What was so interesting about this experience was that just that morning my district and I had finished watching the talk Elder Bednar gave at the MTC a little while ago about the same topic. I don't think it was mere coincidence that those two talks happened to coincide. The thing that I took away from those two talks is that we need to stop worrying about whether the thought was a prompting of the spirit or just me. They both kind of discussed how if we are doing what we are supposed to be doing that we will be instruments in God's hands and it doesn't matter if a thought came from the spirit or you. All good things come from God. Elder Bednar shared a story about giving a 20 mark note when he was a missionary  to Elder Packer and at the time he didn't recognize it as a prompting of the spirit but as time went by and he learned more about what happened after he realized that God was directing his actions. (look up the story it is really amazing). How many times does that happen in our lives? We do something not knowing what the outcome will be or why we are doing it but later we learn that we were being directed by God. So my challenge is this...let us lead our lives in such a way that we don't have to rely on the spirit to tell us everything to do but that because we are living righteously our actions will always be in accordance with God's will.
Also, if you have any experiences where this has happened in your life and you're willing to share them please send them my way.
 
Time is short. I love you all. God loves you. I know that the gospel is true and I'm so excited to be a part of this great work.
 
love,
 
Hermana Hansen

No comments: